Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Describing Our World

For the past three weeks we have been diligently working to make our writing come to life through the use of sensory details! To let the students test out everything they have learned, I sent them outside with a thesaurus, paper and a pencil, and told them to describe the world around them using all the sensory details that they could think of. I am bursting with pride for how well they did!

The Orange Tree
A poem by Ben
Grade 7


This tree overflows with green
and is very shiny it seems,
It has leaves that are cold
and smooth as gold.
It seems like it's from my dreams.

This tree is very small.
It's the smallest of all.
But it has certain comfort spots,
where you can be at home, though not.
It doesn't have to be tall,

Up in the tiny tree,
there are not two, but three
green, unripe, mushy round things,
unaware of anything.
It's a fine orange tree!



The Outside World
By Corinna
Grade 4

The mixture of brown and green made the tree look rough and fierce. The sun was warm and comforting, lighting up the beautiful scene. The rusty old basket ball hoop felt rutted and done for. The vent on the building was half burnt and sounded hollow. The smell of fresh cut grass filled the air. The wind was slow and warm.

The shadows of our class danced up in front of us. As I moved from side to side, my shadow danced along, doing the same. The sky was clean light blue with what looked like milk-made clouds. The stairs I sat on were incredibly hard. The cement sat there with its perfectly curved lines.

The mountains were beautiful. Green trees covered them and gave total beauty. The rocky edges were pink when the sun shined on the ledges.


The grass felt wet with dew drops covering the entire place.

It was really a site of beauty.

The World Around Us
By Luke
Grade 4


I can feel the crunchy leaves beneath my feet. I can see the clear blue sky with the puffy clouds. I can hear chirping and flapping of the bird's wings and beaks. It smells like fresh cut grass. The mountains are foggy and I can feel the wind brushing against my face. The sun is shining in my eyes but I can still see a tan dotted moth. I see a tall kid about 5 foot, 7 inches. He looks 14 but could have been older. I can see he has a blue dark shirt on.


God's Creation
By Chloe
Grade 4

When I touch the bark on the quiet sleeping tree, it makes me want to fall asleep like curling up on a fluffy pillow. Even though there is no breeze, I watch the flowers fall down. I bet you there is about twenty different shades of green in the leaves. The flowers look like they are inside out. I can hear the squash when I step on the fallen flowers. I turn around, feeling grumpy and sad. Walking back toward the school, I look up. I see the most beautiful thing ever! I see the sun rising faintly over the mountains. The mountains look like I could jump on them and fall asleep like a nice soft blanket of trees. The clouds look like a bridge on top of a river, but the river is growing faint. The very top of the mountain looks rocky and rough.



Mountain's Majesty

By Miss Jessica

The haze of clouds drift past the jagged peaks of the towering mountains. A clear sheet of blue has been dropped behind the range, making it's outline on the sky clear and defined. It is almost as if the range has been painted into the background with the haze of clouds giving the illusion of a painting that has faded with time.

Not a movement seems to come from the enormity of the view rising about the white-washed buildings. Yet there is a chorus of life hidden deep within the heavy brush. Leaves rustling amidst the gentle cooling breeze. The shrill cry of a bird pierces the air and is followed by a moment of stillness before another bird calls out a joyous response. The foothills are alive with the minuscul movements of a world hidden to the untrained eye.

1 comment:

  1. These are all so good. I can picture all the things you have written about. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your work and experiences.

    ReplyDelete